Thursday, April 28, 2016

April 28th 2016 - Gi All Levels

Theme & Techniques: Standing RNC Defense to O-Soto Gari, Backmount: Escape, RNC
Partner: Chris (New Guy)

Skipped a few of the warm-ups to prevent back strain but felt pretty good regardless.  Chris had been to 3 or 4 previous classes and was having a bit of trouble falling with each O-Soto Gari.  I gave him some tips on tucking his chin a little more and rolling the hips up to disperse the energy a bit.

Gave a few more tips when working on back control mostly to do with hips and harness grip.  One of the worst things is trying to teach the RNC while being choked.  I find myself trying to give little details like "just push your chest forward a little bit, hack, cough" and then gagging and having to tap.

Rolling: Up/Down/Out Back Control
Rolled With: Chris, Chris C, Megan, Greg, Ben, Tom, and probably others

Had some good rolls.  Felt good at the beginning of defending Greg's back attack as I was controlling his choking hand for a while, but he eventually got it back and then bow and arrow choked me.  I set up a couple cross collar chokes, a technique at one point I never thought I would be good at.  Ben and I had quite a roll where he came close to putting me into half guard but I kept it to quarter and tried to get back to his back.  By the skin of my teeth I was able to escape to side control and setup a baseball bat choke.

Office Hours Partner: Greg, Ben, Tom

Asked Greg what to do when I controlled the choking hand and he showed me a couple options.  One that I knew already of putting the arm on the other side of my neck in kind of an armbar position.  The other was to push away from it and go the opposite way to get your shoulders to the floor.

Watched Tom and Chris C roll for quite a while hoping they would get done so I could roll with one of them, but they never got done.  We ended up talking about passing and not relying on bad habits to break the guard open.  We went over how I get my grips and I tried to emphasize posture. 



No comments:

Post a Comment