Saturday, April 2, 2016

April 2nd 2016 - Kids & Open Mat

Kids Class
Technique: Standing Guard Break to knee over pass
Rolling/Game: Guard Position, Free Rolling

I led the warm-ups which some of the kids enjoyed.  My boys had a bit of a tough time, not sure if they were tired, but they haven't been attending classes enough lately.  They weren't on their best behavior for the remainder of the class.  Being brothers, sometimes they just can't work together.  They did get some good reps in with the pass though. 

Jace was doing a pretty good job during rolling and getting the top position or passing the guard most of the time.  Jayden just didn't have the drive today to get after it.  He did try a few times at least but for the most part acted a little sheepish.

Open Mat
Rolled With: Fuji, Craig, Tyler, Mike A, Greg
Game Plan: 50/50 Research

Fuji: I didn't actually roll with Fuji, but I asked him if he would hook me up with a massage to help my back out.  Holy shit was it painful but worth it.  He showed me a couple of stretches that he does as he has a similar problem.

Craig: We drilled the long step pass out of half guard with some help from Conan.  I was a little lost at first but once we figured out that the knee on their hip was very important we both got better at it.  We rolled a few times and I saw some opportunities to go for the pass but decided not to try it and do my normal thing.   

Tyler: We rolled a few times and I kept passing his guard with the over/under pass.  Eventually I decided to show him how to defend it by sticking his arm between my head and his leg to keep me from turning the corner.  I asked if he wanted to work some 50/50 since I've seen him and Mike fight from there a few times.  Eventually we got Mike to come over and give us some pointers.  I definitely feel like a fish out of water when it comes to leg attacks.  I'm getting better but I need so much more work just to understand the possibilities.

Mike: We did some more 50/50 work in no gi and he handed me my ass several times, but I got some good training in and tips on the position.  One major point was finishing the heel hook by extending my legs near his knee to stabilize the joint.  Another good tip was to get my knee free by controlling their hand and then turning away so my knee would point down and keep spinning to escape.

Greg: I feel kind of bad because right before I rolled with Greg, I told Jerad that I wasn't going to avoid rolling with the big dogs because I didn't want to hurt my back further.  I didn't want to pass up a roll with Greg though.  Before I rolled with Greg I told him I'd probably not be rolling up to my full potential because of my back issue.  Low and behold I jump on a guillotine in his butterfly guard almost immediately.  Then a lot of things started going through my head.  "Am I really going to get Greg to tap for the first time?", "Did I just pull a 'let's roll light' and then go HAM?", "How am I going to feel about this later?", "Can I celebrate?" by that time he was escaping.  I'm not sure if he escaped because of my wandering mind or if he just escaped.  He did tell me it was a good choke, so I got that going for me, which is nice.  We rolled several more times and I think he got his quota of heel hooks for the day.  I remember also defending from the bottom of mount and getting RNC'd from back mount a few times.  Oh well, I will catch him another day. 







No comments:

Post a Comment