Saturday, April 30, 2016

April 30th 2016 - Open Mat

Open Mat
Rolled With: Tyler, Craig, Jordan, Adam, Tom, Darijo, Jerad
Game Plan: Deep Half

Tyler: His guard is getting so difficult to pass.  Plus he is consistently working on berimbolo so I think he'll be a real handful soon for me.   

Craig: He's been dealing with an issue with his leg so we didn't roll that many times.  I don't remember too much from our roll, could be because we've rolled together so many times in the past.

Jordan: We had a discussion not too long ago about using strength and athleticism with his techniques and it seems like he took that too heart.  We had a much more relaxed roll than usual.  We talked about some mount escapes at the end and I showed him the knee in one that Mike likes to use and I showed the escapes that I like to use. 

Adam: It's been a long time coming but I finally legit submitted Adam for the first time ever.  I focused on getting the grips that I wanted and was able to pass guard but got put into half and tried to stay on top. Eventually I ended up on the bottom in full guard.  I transitioned between cross guard and 2 on 1 and eventually was able to sink in the omoplata.  I had to deal with a little stacking but was eventually able to finish the submission.  I normally don't like to call out my subs on here but I feel like with all of the times that he's submitted me over the years, I had to mention it.  In the following rolls he dominated me quite aptly.

Tom: I was pretty wiped out after my rolls with Adam and Tom wanted to go light so it was a good couple of rolls.  I was able to get to deep half a few times and work some sweeps and also fought from the bottom of side control. We went over some side control escapes and how I approach it.  He said he'd like to do more drilling after weekday classes in the near future.

Darijo: I see improvements in his game since we last rolled and saw him doing some good things when rolling with others recently.  He made the comment that I feel much heavier than before and he meant it in a good way.  After rolling, we discussed along with Jerad grip fighting and how important it is to be first to get the grips you want. Jerad shared some of his ideas and how Alejandro was able to pass his guard.

Jerad: Saved enough energy for a battle with Jerad.  I started off well using single leg-x to go to full x and then sweep.  We went back and forth for a while until I ended up in an open half guard.  I pulled out his lapel and wrapped it around his leg to emulate Bernardo Faria's situp guard.  I'll have to research it some more because I at least slowed him down a bit but wasn't able to sweep. Eventually he broke my grip and it went downhill from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment