Saturday, April 16, 2016

April 16th 2016 - Open Mat

Open Mat
Rolled With: Craig, Derek, Bhuvana, Mike A
Game Plan: Deep Half and Bottom Half

Craig: We looked at the curriculum again and went over the throw section with just fit ins. We rolled a few times and I was on point with setting up the North/South choke. I had him take the top of half guard with the underhook and crossface and then tried to work my way out of it.  It was some good training.

Derek: Super tough roll that made me want to improve my cardio and framing in half guard.  He started on bottom which I commend him for.  As I was attempting to pass his guard he turtled up so I took a collar grip and attempted the cross choke. But, when he figured out it was sinking in he was able to roll me off the top.  Should I have let it go and tried to stay on top? Yes.

I ended up in guard and tried to play my game.  Every time I felt like I gained some ground he would center back up and I'd have to start over.  I attempted cross guard omoplata but he was able to step over my head which almost never happens anymore, I recovered and somehow ended up in a triangle.  I couldn't lock it in though and ended up in half guard.  Eventually he isolated my arm and finished an americana. It was a good reminder that I need to be more persistent in my framing and try to stay ahead of the game in half guard.

Bhuvana: She wanted some pointers on guard retention and half guard.  The advice that I've been giving out lately for retaining guard is to cover the places they want to grip with your hands, that way I can usually prevent their grips and usually get sleeve grips. When we practiced she has noticeably improved in getting a spider hook.

Then we worked on some half guard stuff and she decided knee shield is something she wants to improve on.

Mike: Had some great technical rolls like usual. The first couple he caught me pretty quickly with heel hooks. After a flurry of twisting and turning I finally caught him with one as he was attempting a calf cutter.  I'm still having issues with finishing the waiter sweep with him as he'll attack a knee bar as I go for it, I think I need to hold his hip tighter and commit to going for over/under pass.

No comments:

Post a Comment