Wednesday, April 20, 2016

April 20th 2016 - Gi All Levels

Theme & Techniques: Double Leg Takedown, Mount Upa Escape & Cross Collar Choke
Students: Mike A, Jordan, Byrav

I had an idea for a warm-up that we've done in a past competition class.  After the usual down the floor stuff we did 2 minutes each to drill a guard sweep of choice.  Then 2 minutes to practice their ideal tournament scenario.  So starting with a takedown then transitioning to a dominant position and completing their best submission.  I worked on my cross guard pull to omoplata and then finish the omoplata either straight away or with a second roll to the crucifix.  I had Byrav do techniques that he was familiar with like O-Soto gari to side control and finishing with an americana. 

I would suggest everyone have a plan like this in mind or 2.  Your best takedown or guard pull to your best submission.   Mine are either my guard pull above or drop seio nage to north/south choke or knee on belly baseball bat choke.

I feel like my double leg has been getting better.  It's been a process and a techniques that was very difficult at first.  I went from leading with my head bent over at the waist trying to tackle someone.  Then I started to learn about changing levels and penetration steps and turning the corner.  Posture was still my biggest problem but now that is getting better I feel much more confident in my double leg and it doesn't feel as awkward as it did before.

Rolling: Guard Position, Free Rolling
Rolled With: Jordan

I went to cross guard and Jordan gave me a bit of a hard time from there, which I was hoping for.  I had to reset a couple times but eventually got what I wanted.  He did a pretty good job following that after my guard was open of trying to pass.  I did have to turtle and he was in the process of trying to take my back when time ran out.  From the top I attempted

Office Hours Partner: Mike

I reviewed Ryan Hall's deep half guard DVD last night and thought I had found some answers for Mike's step over.  I think I looked at too many things because some of the specifics were fuzzy by the time I tried them.  But there were some important realizations about using the butterfly hook to help off balance and defending the knee bar during the waiter sweep that I think will be good additions to my game.  


No comments:

Post a Comment