Thursday, November 10, 2016

November 10th 2016 - Gi All Levels

Theme & Techniques: O-Soto Gari, Half Guard Knee Slide Pass, Granby Roll from Turtle

I kind of hung back today and didn't partner up but helped a lot of people during the drilling portion of class.  Here's some of the pointers I gave today:

  • O-Soto Gari: Your first step is very important, your foot needs to be next to them so you can line up your hips with theirs as you sweep.
  • Half Guard Knee Slide: Greg gave a good detail that I don't think I've seen him taught previously, he backed away so they would chase him a bit with their frame making it easier to karate chop into the underhook.
  • Granby Roll: Try to avoid rolling forward and roll under yourself, makes it difficult for them to stack you.  If you are having problems with this technique please find me and I'm sure I can help you. 
Rolling: Half Guard Up/Down/Out, Turtle position
Rolled With: Jordan, Jess, Daniel, Tom, Ben, Shane, Ian

Half guard was business as usual for me.  I gave people a couple of pointers.  One of my biggest ones lately has been for top half guard to keep your elbow on their hip.  If your elbow comes to the inside an armdrag is pretty easy for the bottom person.

From turtle bottom I was killing it with the granby, I have even more confidence with this than before.  I did have tough rolls with both Jordan and Ben.

I've also gained confidence in my lasso guard recently.  I think this is my open guard (if you don't count cross guard as an open guard).  I think I'm going to be researching this for the foreseeable future.

Office Hours Partner: Jess, Tom

Had a good roll with Jess and talked a bit about passing guard after.  I tried to get him to focus more on technique rather than the always stack and move forward that he's good at from prior experience.  I think it sunk in today.  Tom and I also had some good rolls and discussed mount escape and deep half afterward.


No comments:

Post a Comment