Tuesday, November 22, 2016

November 22nd 2016 - No Gi All Levels

Theme & Techniques: Half Guard Twist Sweep
Partner: Bhuvana

Twist sweep was a tough technique for me to learn.  I remember several instances where Greg tried to teach it to me and I couldn't get the leg configuration down to complete it.  I think it's finally starting to become a viable technique for me but I don't get into a situation to use it very often.  It is a little different movement in that you have to close your elbow and clamp your knees together at the same time and push your butt and your knees to the side.

Rolling: Half Guard, Free Rolling
Rolled With: Bhuvana, Greg, Mike, Tim

I hit the twist sweep a couple times and got stuck there a few times.  I think of my half guard as being pretty good but Greg is on a different level and I don't even know what he's doing differently than me. I had more success from the bottom than the top due to being able to get to deep half.

Fun roll with Mike. I have to work really hard to keep him in front of me, protect my feet, protect my neck, and try to initiate my own attacks. He consistently pays me compliments after our rolls, like today he said he couldn't prevent my granby from turtle.

Office Hours Partner: Bob, Tim

Did a couple tia toshis with Bob no gi and they felt pretty good. I've got to remember to lift the arm as I am doing the footwork to setup the throw.

Tim asked me about the hip switch pass and we went over some other half guard stuff.

Thoughts

An interesting thing that I've noticed is how compliments have affected my personal game.  There have been several times when someone that I respect told me I was good at a technique or position. A seed was planted and I would start researching that thing and feel more confident using it while rolling.  So be kind to a white belt and throw them a bone by paying them a compliment.

No comments:

Post a Comment