Saturday, November 12, 2016

November 12th 2016 - Open Mat

Open Mat
Rolled With: Josh J, Marlie, Austin, Dave, Jess, Tyler, Nick, Bhuvana

Lots of good rolls today and I'm already feeling sore in my fingers and legs.

Josh: I practiced a few crucifix setups that I've been working on. I helped him with some cross guard specifics. During our roll I made it to crucifix position but couldn't make anything happen from there.

Marlie: She is the wife of our new black belt, Nick and this was her first time training at our school.  She did a great job for only training a year. She did her best to prevent me getting grips and moved around very quickly.

Austin: I'm not sure what changed but he has improved greatly since I rolled with him several months ago. I think he's being more persistent and direct with his guard passing.

Dave: When I saw Dave on the mat I tackle hugged him since it's maybe been months since I trained with him.  After rolling we worked on a spider guard pass that he asked about.

Jess: He's starting to become a regular at our school and doing pretty decent for a new guy.  Hopefully it keeps his interest going forward.

Tyler: He was on point today and was frustrating to roll with.  Everytime I felt like I was past his guard he was able to get a leg in the way and make space. He's getting good at DLR to berimbolo and I don't have a good answer for it now besides trying to be heavy and smash.  I may have to take him more seriously.

Nick: Great tough rolls as usual. I felt like I was doing well with my over/under pass. He caught me with a nasty collar choke, I had to leave the mat while I avoided puking.  In the following roll he caught me in a spiral armbar position as I was going for deep half. I think my underhook was too deep as I needed it under his leg instead of his armpit.

Bhuvana: Had a good discussion on grip breaks and loop choke.  She's going through the stages of learning a technique, almost getting it during rolling and then troubleshooting and correcting mistakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment