Thursday, November 3, 2016

November 2nd 2016 - Gi All Levels

Theme & Techniques: Half Guard with Underhook: Take the back, Regain Guard, Plan B Sweep
Partner: Jess, Daniel

One of my favorite weeks in the beginner curriculum, mostly because we get to do positional sparring from half guard.  Some pointers on half guard bottom in general:
  • Always control the inside space
  • Avoid being flat on your back
  • Monitor their cross face arm
  • Always be searching for an underhook with your elbow
  • When getting an underhook try to get their armpit over your shoulder
  • Use your legs, don't just triangle your legs and try to hold them in place.  Use your legs to move your opponents around.

Rolling: Half Guard, Free Rolling
Rolled With: Jerad, Tom, Daniel, Ben

Jerad and I both gave each other a hard time. He joked that 2 minutes may not be enough time to pass my half guard.

With the other rolls I did my best to play a pretty straight forward game from top and bottom and didn't resort to deep half.

I showed Daniel how to get to butterfly half a d saw a light bulb form over his head when he I showed him that I plant my foot and move their leg over the top of it.

Office Hours Partner: Tom

We rolled a few times as I attempted to setup lasso guard and he didn't let me.  I continued to be in open guard until setting up an arm drag. His sife control defenses are getting quite good and I had to use an unorthodox method to finish my baseball bat choke with my knee to assist.

We worked on cross guard for a while and to help him get the omoplata I had him exaggerate the movement a lot to get his hips up high enough to push the wrist into place.


No comments:

Post a Comment