Tuesday, November 8, 2016

November 8th 2016 - No Gi All Levels

Theme & Techniques: Attacking the Back: RNC, Kimura Grip to Armbar
Partner: Jess

Great class on something that I'm always striving to be better at.  I'm getting there as I do feel more in control in back mount and I'm able to transition and keep a dominant position if they start to escape.  I'm not quite there yet with the hand fighting and arm trapping aspects of it.  The kimura grip to armbar was very solid and is a much better version to armbar than what I was doing before which was pretty much just framing against side of their head as I kick my leg over. 

Rolling: Back Mount, Free Rolling
Rolled With: Jess, Mike

Was able to control and escape pretty well from back mount today but didn't come very close to finishing.  I think it has mostly to do with my partners being able to control my attacking hand so I have to think on what I'm doing to allow this.  Butterfly hooks from back mount have become a staple in me keeping a dominant position and am glad that I attended those classes where Greg showed the transitions to maintain back mount.

Office Hours Partner: Mike, Jess

Frank and I did a shark tank for Mike and apparently we're going to be doing this more often until his fight next month.  I did the stand-up rounds with him and Frank started in top positions on the ground.  We worked hard to wear him out and I think we succeeded.  I reinforced my belief that I suck at takedowns which is kind of a self fulfilling prophecy. 

However, Mike gave me some pointers to attempt more wrestling takedowns from a clinch rather than try to shoot from too far away.  This finally sunk in because I've had it wrong in my head for a long time.  I felt like I had to attempt shots if I was at a distance and then go for Judo type throws if I was clinched up.  We talked about the duck under and arm drag and I'm feeling some inspired about doing no gi stand-up next time.

Practiced the waiter sweep with Jess and showed Mike that I'm changing the direction I take it to direct the my leg more toward the knee.  This should prevent the ankle lock positions I've been falling into while performing this sweep and also makes it easier to sprawl into the over under pass.  Rolled with Jess a little after that with a focus on trying to catch him in a trap and being more flowy (also being a little lazy). 



No comments:

Post a Comment