Tuesday, November 1, 2016

November 1st 2016 - No Gi All Levels

Theme & Techniques: Standing Guard Break, Split Pass, Lumberjack Sweep
Partner: Bhuvana

Great class today.  I'm slowly working my way into doing split pass while rolling.  It's not completely a part of my game unless I just find myself there.  There was quite a bit of concern with standing to break guard and avoiding the double ankle sweep. The lumberjack sweep is not my favorite.  I seem to have a hard time keeping my guard closed through the whole technique.  I especially focused on that today.

Rolling: Guard, Free Rolling
Rolled With: Bhuvana, John, Mike, Tom

Had a couple of things in mind while rolling. On the bottom if half guard occurred I was going to attempt Krab guard first and go to deep half if it failed. Then waiter sweep.

On top I wanted the guard break of the day or tozi pass.

Office Hours Partner: Mike

We played around with krab guard for a while and I showed him my idea of going to it from a failed scissor sweep.  I think it's doable.

We rolled a couple of times but it all seems to run together from rolling earlier.  At some point I hit a shin sweep from deep half and turned it into single leg-x.  I lost position when attempting to switch to full x-guard.  He showed me that I should have reaped the knee to go for a heel hook or during the transition I should have pulled on his knee to keep him from back stepping.

There were a couple times when we were rolling in guard that a sweep happened but we didn't notice because we lost a sense of it from fighting for leg locks. 


No comments:

Post a Comment