Wednesday, November 23, 2016

November 23rd 2016 - Gi All Levels

Theme & Techniques: O-Goshi, Back Mount: Wing Choke, Bow and Arrow Choke
Partner: Frank, Drew

I was happy to get in a workout before three days off due to the Thanksgiving holiday.  Small class as per usual on a Wednesday but everybody was there to put in the work.  Tips on techniques from this week:
  • O-Goshi: My main focus with throws has been working on the off balancing.  Working on looking at the watch keeping posture and using the elbow to kind of raise them up before getting my hips under them.
  • Wing Choke: I prefer this choke from technical mount rather than back mount.  So if you are having trouble getting this particular choke try it from that position.  Jerad showed it this way today.
  • Bow and Arrow: Probably the biggest piece of advice I give with this technique is the thinking of turning your hips like an armbar and it should feel like a trap door for your opponent when the leg is no longer under them. 
Rolling: Back Mount
Rolled With: Frank, Drew, Jerad

From the bottom my goal was to get to deep half and sweep with waiter and I accomplished it a couple of times.  One thing that I'm not sure about is if I'm letting people get their knee on the floor while I'm in deep half (kind of quarter guard with my arm inside).  I usually recover from this back to deep half but sometimes someone good will improve their position at this point or at least a scramble occurs.

Office Hours Partner: Frank

We went over wing choke a few times and then rolled some. 

No comments:

Post a Comment