Friday, November 11, 2016

November 11th 2016 - Gi All Levels

Theme & Techniques: Half Guard Stuff
Students: Morgan, Jess

As part of the warm-up I had them do a few of the partner exercises that I like.  Standing guard break to situp, side control 180 rotations with and without arms, and using harness grips and butterfly hooks to kick them to the side and regain back mount.

Just the three of us this morning so we worked on some other half guard stuff per Morgan's request.  I showed some stuff from Ryan Halls Deep Half DVD. 
  • Use the knee shield to to get an underhook.  
  • Knee shield twist sweep
  • Knee shield twist sweep to arm drag
  • Hip switch pass from the top
They seemed to appreciate these different techniques that I have success with in half guard and they both got a lot of good reps in.

Rolling: Half Guard, Free Rolling

Had some great rolls round robin style and we each got a round on top and bottom with each other.  I saw both of them successfully attempt the hip switch pass which has been one of my highest percentage half guard passes. 

I free rolled with Morgan a few times after class and almost got caught in a triangle that he threw up.  I showed him a defense for over/under pass as I used it a couple of times during the day. 


Thoughts:

It's becoming more apparent to me that my game is relatively unique within our school.  Not a lot of people attempt deep half guard, cross guard, attack from knee on belly, and do north/south choke.  Greg and the purple belts have been helpful in me developing these positions and techniques but ultimately I've been in control of my progress and forming my game. 

This is a major difference I've observed between BJJ and other martial arts that I've practiced in the past where it seemed like everyone stuck to a curriculum and wanted to look the same as the instructor.  A lot of it has to do with being required to make things work for you in sparring.  You're going to naturally gravitate to those techniques that work for you or solve problems that you have during the Jiu-Jitsu journey.

Of course the fundamentals that we learn in beginner class are the most important to understand and get down first, but I'd say after 2 or 3 times through the curriculum a student should start to form their own game.  Don't wait for anyone to tell you what you need to work on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment