Tuesday, January 17, 2017

January 17th 2017 - No Gi All Levels

Theme & Techniques: Shawn William's Guard: Armbar, Omoplata
Partner: Jess

Felt good about drilling the SW guard like usual but am still not good at using it during rolling.  I'm happy that Greg had us start in the position while rolling.  I don't feel the best about doing the omoplata from here either, not sure if it's flexibility or if I'm not making space correctly. 

Rolling: SW Guard Up/Down/Out, Closed Guard KOTM
Rolled With: Mike, Darijo, Ryal, Jess, Daniel, Bob

I didn't have many problems with passing the SW, I was able to get over their free leg most of the time.  The best thing I did in class was setup the triangle from SW, which surprised Greg.  I guess he hasn't seen me complete many triangles.

Had a battle from guard with Mike where I defended quite a few ankle locks and knee bars.  He gave me some props for it after that.  I am feeling more competent in keeping myself out of locks now by triangling my legs at the right time or hand fighting at the right time.  Something that I recently felt oblivious to has turned around for me.  Now I need to gain some attacks.   

Office Hours Partner: Jess, Mike

Had a great roll with Jess.  I kept thinking I was going to submit him and then he'd shrug me off or bridge really well.  I had him in side control, he turtled, I started setting up crucifix and got him stuck for a bit but eventually he shrugged me off, I went for an armbar and he stacked it, eventually I ended up in a triangle.  Mike seemed impressed with my transitioning into the next thing when something was thwarted.  Jess did a great job of keeping me from submitting him.

Mike and I talked about setting up the reverse kimura and barata plata.  We both didn't feel as confident with the barata plata from the top which is something I've been thinking about looking into as another mount attack.



No comments:

Post a Comment