Saturday, January 7, 2017

January 7th 2017 - Open Mat

Open Mat
Rolled With: Frank, Daniel, Chris, Nick, Bhuvana, Greg, Brian
Game Plan: Bottom - Z-Guard, Crucifix; Top - Spiral Armbar

Frank: We ended up in quite a few different positions.  I worked to setup the spiral armbar position, crucifix, and a rolling back take from quarter guard.  

Daniel: Got to use my up and coming crucifix skills again.  To add insult to injury Daniel had just helped me troubleshoot the position the other day.  I'm enjoying doing the cross feet armbar from this position and I'm feeling more comfortable about rolling to my back.  I showed him some of the z-guard stuff that I've been working on and he seemed to like it.

Chris: Had a pretty light roll and helped him with butterfly sweep.  Then Nick came and grabbed me.

Nick: Got my cardio in with Nick and felt good about keeping up with the pace.  I had some success with deep half and over/under pass.  It seems like whenever I start to make something happen though, I'm allowing too much space and he's getting his guard back or recovering in some way.  He paid me a compliment after open mat that he's impressed that I attack a lot in half guard and it's inspired him to do the same.

Bhuvana: Great training, she only wanted to work on guard retention and a quick deep half tutorial.  We had a different type of roll where I would put her into positions and then coach her out of them, which she said was very helpful.  

Greg: It's fantastic that I can roll with 2 black belts in one day.  I was discussing with a few people the other day, how I don't think I've ever passed Greg's guard.  I've come close and failed, I've swept him and regained guard from bad positions, but I've yet to submit him or pass his guard.  That didn't change today but I did feel more relaxed and confident in my rolling with him.  I'm going to keep chasing that dream of passing his guard though.  One thing that we discussed after was that there were moments when I did good things but had to pause to think when I would get to a position that I'm not as versed in, de la riva in this case.

Brian: Had a fun couple of rolls and then caught up with Brian.  During one of the exchanges I had passed his guard but he was able to put my head in a leg scissor. It was tight like a vise. Afterward I told him his legs had Karate strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment