Wednesday, January 18, 2017

January 18th 2017 - Gi All Levels

Theme & Techniques: Basic Open Guard: Scissor Sweep, Triangle
Partner: Jess, Tom

Apparently this is Jerad's favorite week in the beginner curriculum.  I also like it because it could be considered "advanced basics" where things like scissor sweep and upa would be basics.  It's a pretty dynamic position and requires some knowledge of push and pull in order to control the top person. 

The triangle setup that we did by folding the shin over their arm is a setup that I haven't messed around with too much, but it felt pretty natural today.  I may look into it further.

Rolling: Open Guard Position, Free Rolling
Rolled With: Tom, Jerad, Jess

Was able to setup a few triangles from the open guard but had some troubles finishing them.  Jerad got me pretty good with a double unders pass and I was able to pass his guard with an x-pass. 

We stretched and bowed out of class but everyone decided to stay so we all got a roll with each other with 5 minute rounds.  Each of them presented challenges for me.  I attempted lapel guard with Tom and he was able to pass it quite easily, I may need to watch another tutorial on that.  Jess is pretty good at escaping from the bottom of side control.  Jerad was on top and attacking from the get go, and while I defended well, I never saw an opportunity to escape.




No comments:

Post a Comment