Thursday, January 26, 2017

January 26th 2017 - Gi All Levels

Theme & Techniques: Guillotine Defense from Guard, Ezekiel Choke from Mount & Half Guard
Partner: Jess

Ezekiels are my jam and I felt like I did a good job of giving Jess some good details.  I don't feel like I hit is as much from mount anymore as people are wise to it, but passing half guard seems to still catch people off guard.  I'll try to write some more tips on the technique tomorrow when I have time.

Rolling: Guard KOTM, Mount
Rolled With: Jess, Jordan, Tom, Daniel

Had to work harder today than I was prepared for.  Both Jordan and Tom gave me a hard time in my guard.  I attempted sweeps and went to 2 on 1 but they were both insistent on wanting to pass.  I had to turtle and prevent getting my back taken.  I did end up coming up into a single leg at one point which is something that I need to do more often. 

My mount both top and bottom felt pretty good today as it has lately.  I would say if you are one of those people that says that mount sucks and side control is better, you may be right for your style and body type, but give mount a chance.

Office Hours Partner: Greg, Chris

Greg had Jordan and I roll hard with him after class.  We started standing and he pulled guard on me both times but swept soon after from butterfly.  I was on the defensive for the rest of it I think.  I felt like I escaped quite a few submissions until he finally caught me in an armbar.  Afterward he told me that my defense is good but he doesn't feel threatened by me.  So my new goal is to be threatening to Greg.  Greg showed me a trip takedown that he's been working on off of an arm drag.  I kind of like it but would need to drill it to get the leg part down.

Helped Chris a bit with grip fighting from butterfly and holding their arm to his body after he breaks a grip instead of letting them regrip right after.  Seemed to be surprised that he hadn't known that already.  To me those are the best kinds of lessons because once you feel like they're obvious, you can use them right away.

No comments:

Post a Comment