Tuesday, January 24, 2017

January 24th 2017 - No Gi All Levels

Theme & Techniques: Side Control: Tripod Escape, Arm Triangle Choke
Partner: Jeff (New Guy), Jess

Was glad I got to escape train today, as I'm a little stressed from work.  I like how BJJ can put things into perspective and clear my head but I am a bit of a bitch if I miss a workout.

The new guy, Jeff, has the build of a wrestler but he said that he runs Ironman races and stuff like that though so he'll probably be a terror after he learns some technique. 

I worked on perfecting my tripod and trying to find the best way to get to my head and shoulder and maintain my bridge.  For the arm triangle I focused on keeping my head on the floor and copying the way that Greg did it to get their arm in place.  Helped out both Jess and Jeff a lot with some basic side control things aside from the techniques of the day.  They both had pretty tight arm triangles by the end of the session. 

Rolling: Side Control Up/Down/Out
Rolled With: Jess, Jeff, John, Morgan, Daniel, Ben

My North/South choke was delivered plentifully today as many of my brethren left their necks unprotected in side control.  I explained to a few people how to defend it but pushing my chin to make me look away which helps make space for them to turn their head.  I also had some success with the waiter sweep today, feeling especially good about coming up after the sweep.

Had some good rounds.  Jess was hard to hold down in side control as usual and I was transitioning from side to turtle, trying to take the back, trying to get crucifix, then eventually got an arm in guillotine using the method that Greg showed us a couple of months ago.  He is so difficult to control in no gi.

Office Hours Partner: John, Morgan

Rolled with both John and Morgan and experimented with some single leg-x and full-x.  I looked for more leglocks on John, but had some trouble finding good technique to finish the heel hook.  Probably have to go over that with Mike or Greg again. 

There was a point with Morgan where a toe hold presented itself and I put it on to kind of show him it was there and for my own muscle memory.  From his office Greg said, "Are you toe holding a white belt" to which I let it go and responded "NO! I was just um...showing him it was there."


No comments:

Post a Comment