Friday, May 11, 2012

May 11th - Gi (Broke 200)

Ray taught a pretty active class yesterday.  We carried each other across the mat a couple of ways.  We then got in groups of 3 and did the fitting in drill and then the break dancing roll and jump exercise.  We did a few combination throws from a failed reaping throw to and inside leg takedown and then a wrestling takedown.  The remainder of the instructional portion of the class was spent on the lockdown and whip up from half guard.

Ray had the more experienced people go to the corners and partner up with new people.  From there we rolled starting from different guard positions (open guard, de las rivas, reverse dlr, inverted guard, and spider guard).  It was nice to work some of these different positions specifically with new people.  It takes some of the competition out of it and forces me to try new things instead of going to the things that I feel like I'm good at.

During open mat I rolled with Jordan.  I can already see some improvement in him as he was doing some good things with body positions to keep me from passing his guard.  I started out working a lot of knee on belly and going for the far side armbar.  Still need to work on making the setup a little cleaner and sneaky.

I weighed myself this morning after swimming and I finally broke 200 lbs with 199.2.  For a long time I've just accepted that 210 was my weight and it wasn't going to change.  190 here I come.

3 comments:

  1. Sensei Gary says that if your weight doesn't start with a 2, then you are a girl ;) Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. are you going for a certain weight for the tournament?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wasn't aware that a sex change was a part of the deal, Gina. I may need to rethink this.

    Ken, my goal is 190. I guess I could drop to 189 if that will put me in a lower weight class.

    ReplyDelete