Saturday, May 12, 2012

May 11th - Open mat

My son had a pre-school program today so I was able to take off work for that and then make it to Jiu-Jitsu at a reasonable time after that.  It was worth it.  I rolled multiple times with Garrett, Ray, Claire,  David, and Greg. 

I felt pretty good about my performance with everyone.  Ray choked me out multiple times but I feel like I was moving a lot and had some good passes. 

I'm feeling a lot stronger going up against David now.  It doesn't seem as hopeless as it once did.  However, his closed guard is very difficult to deal with especially when the threat of a triangle is always there.  I was able to defend his triangle once which inspired Ray to talk some shit to David on my behalf.  I was even able to pass and get to side mount.  But, I blew it and he got back to closed guard.  I couldn't find a way to break it open and pass and I finally got caught in a triangle.  By the way, David is back on top of my nemesis list. 

I rolled a little rougher with Claire than I have in the past.  It seems like she's picking some things up now so from my experience I learned a lot quicker when I went against the good guys.  I worked with her on getting out of back mount and mount as well.

The first couple of matches with Greg ended abruptly with a guillotine choke.  I felt like I was making progress and passing his guard but I put my head right into the choke.  There were a couple of other times he went for the same choke but I seemed to learn my lesson and hand fought more aggressively.  One thing I noticed was that when I have him in open guard he seems to have no issue with being completely in the air.  He does it in such a way that he keeps his legs away from being grabbed by my legs but he doesn't go too far forward to get off balanced.  From their he looks for an opening and sticks his knee into a good pass position.  I might have to study this more to figure out how to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment