Wednesday, May 16, 2012

May 16th - Morning Open

In attendance: Robert, Ken, and Claire.  There were supposed to be quite a few more people, but I guess they had better things to do, like sleepy time.  Besides my toe bothering I felt pretty loose today.

We took turns rolling with Robert to get him ready for his upcoming fight.  I was doing a lot better at getting off the mat and attacking underhooks and single legs.  With both Robert and Ken I created a lot more scrambles and spent less time just laying in half guard.  It almost seemed like Robert was taking it a little bit easier.  We went 5 minute rounds and I don't think there were that many submissions, I don't remember any but that may be selective.

There was one baseball slide pass I was really proud of against Robert.  I moved my hips in the right way, drove my knee down, got the underhook, then finally kicked my leg free.  There was however a time when I was going for a head and arm triangle and I was trying to push his shoulder into his head and he rolled me over into his side control.  How disappointing. 

Ken and I had a pretty good battle.  It seemed like the whole match was a scramble and I was maintaining open guard.  My objective was to take his back and I just missed it a couple of times.  I also almost had x-guard but couldn't get his shin above my shoulder.

I worked with Claire on some mount escapes and whatever else came up.  I raised my level of resistance a little bit, as I'm trying not to take it easy on her.  I know how demeaning it can be at times when people fight you with kid gloves.

No comments:

Post a Comment