Monday, May 28, 2012

May 25th & 27th - Open Mat and No-Gi

Like usual I was late to no-gi class on Friday, but unlike usual everyone decided to leave as soon as I got there.  Must be a sign of the summer heat.  Luckily Mike decided to stay and roll with me for a bit.  I was reluctant to oblige his desire to work add in ankle locks to our roll because my toe had been bothering me a little but I've been interested in ankle locks lately and I know I'll have to start picking up on them as soon as I get my blue belt. 

I was getting wise to some of his ankle lock setups but he still caught me a couple of times.  I'm amazed at how quickly he's jumped in skill level.  Like usual we got stuck in the position of me trying to pass his guard and him retaining it.  There were a couple of times where I came very close and maybe once would have been considered a pass.  I recall one time I went for a toe hold but he got a heel hook at the same time and his lock was tighter.  Amazingly I tapped him out in the last match we were.  We scrambling and I went for a knee bar.  I was in the right position but it wasn't tight enough, he triangled his legs and a toe hold presented itself.

Sunday consisted of about 8 of us with the experience levels split in half.  After a quick warmup Conan looked at me and asked what we were working on.  The first thing that came to mind was ankle locks.  He took us through the straight ankle, heel hook, and toe hold all starting from top guard position.  It was a good review and I learned some things about heel hook hand/wrist position that I didn't know before.

During open mat I went with Adam first.  It was pretty much a defensive battle for me trying to keep my limbs near my body and fight for underhooks where possible.  We went back and forth a couple times in half guard as well but eventually he got me to north/south and a kimura soon followed.

I fought with Jerad for the remainder of the time.  Somehow I was able to take a top position right off the bat and pass his guard to side control.  From there it took a lot of my mental ability to try to stay one step ahead of him as I went from knee on belly to trying to secure an arm, at one point his hand was down by my leg and I grabbed his wrist and slid into north-south choke.  It worked and after a couple of bucks I got him to tap. 

The remainder of our matches consisted of him dominating me with a couple of exceptions.  I almost took his back at one point where I had his arm locked against his body with my legs.  But I couldn't get onto his back, I realized later I should have rolled him onto me instead of trying to get on top of him.  He was controlling me well with knee on belly and then north/south and sprawl position.  I believe he got me with 2 darce chokes.  After that and then he got me with the reverse arm triangle using a leg to step over my head as bait that he's taught a couple of classes on that I've attended. 

No comments:

Post a Comment