Wednesday, May 30, 2012

May 29th-30th - Judo and Morning Open (My Fingers Hurt)


I am on my once a year week alone without the family.  They took off yesterday for my wife's father's house.  My objective once again is to participate in as many martial arts classes as possible.  Yesterday to start it off I went to Judo.

Sensei Dave taught class and there were somewhere around 8 participants.  We started off with a warmup and then basic falls.  We did a lot of fitting in and then throwing.  In between some partner drills we did a leg workout with jumping onto mats.  I focused on shoulder throw (Ipon sienagi sp?), then a hip throw with the leg out (horiagoshi), and then soto makakomi.  I almost hurt Ken at one point when I switched from regular shoulder throw to a drop shoulder throw without telling him and made him faceplant a bit.  We did just a little bit of randori standing up, then finished with ground fighting.  I felt right at home rolling and seemed to be able to take everyone's back fairly easily.

Mike and I rolled afterward and worked on some various things like the bull fighter pass.  I need to learn this better.

This morning Robert was taking it a little easy but was trying to keep his sweat going.  He brought a couple of guys from Lincoln, MMA to roll as well.  It was a large group and I rolled with everyone at least once.  Some highlights:

Robert: I felt pretty smooth rolling with him and was able to attack more.  Maybe it was because I had the mindset that I was taking it easy that I relaxed a little more and didn't worry as much about losing.

David: Stupid triangles.  Still my nemesis. 

Fuji: I was only able to get top position on Fuji once and it wasn't for very long.  Otherwise he was destroying me with knee on belly.  I got to figure out how to get out of that.  He tapped me out a couple of times

Ken: Like usual it was a battle to pass his guard and then keep a good position after that.

Josh (wrestling coach): Obviously strong from the top and had good movement.  I was able to sweep him a couple of times with half guard and also a flower sweep.  I got him with a guillotine and he got me later with an arm triangle.

Other visitor: Just a relaxed roll, he had been recovering from a leg injury.  I was able to sweep him a couple of times.

James: Almost got him with a guillotine.  He said it was the best roll he had with me.  

Now I'm sitting here at work and my fingers are very sore from all of the judo gripping yesterday and rolling this morning.


1 comment:

  1. just a minor face-plant. i think the imprint of my face is still in the mat.

    ReplyDelete