Monday, May 7, 2012

May 7th - Gi (Lacking Wrestling Skills)

We had a full house tonight.  It was a good balance of new people and salty ones.  Jerad had us work on a series of arm triangles with putting their arm into the armpit from side control.  The class seemed to go by really fast.

We did the 4 positions 2 minute drill.  I ended up with Fuji as my partner which was good for me, but I don't think I challenged him too much.  I think the most telling position of our skill difference was the turtle.  I couldn't keep him there and he dominated me consitently.  At least in the other positions I felt like I had some chance.  He was also dominating me with collar grips which I know I need to defend more. 

I rolled with Adam first for open mat.  I've been trying to change things up a bit and use standing passes.  I need to get a little more instruction in them though because I keep getting my sleeves grabbed and pushed around.  Maybe Adam is a bad person to try new things on because hand fighting is very tough with him. 

Next I went with Tim who was in class for the first time but I soon found out had a wrestling background.  After a breif stint in turtle I made it to guard but I couldn't get anything going.  I tried armbar and scissor sweep to no avail.  Soon I was in half guard and then in side control and even backmounted for a little while.  I'd regain half guard and then guard and we went back and forth between those positions.  It wasn't until I went to an open guard and put some distance between us that I was able to put him in a guilotene.  I felt a little disapointed in myself that I wasn't able to do more and affect his balance and take top position.  I really need to improve my wrestling.  I'm going to come up with some things to work on my own with bridging and sitouts and tripoding to make it all second nature.

I did some standup with Ken after that but I had a little hitch in my hip that was bothering me a little so we didn't roll.

No comments:

Post a Comment