Friday, May 18, 2012

May 17th - Gi (Tournament Prep)

We split the class into two groups after a quick warm-up.  This was pretty cool as the newer guys were learning about tournament rules and scoring etc.  We instead went through a series starting with reverse dlr to inverted back take to reverse x-guard and ending with butterfly.  I have a lot of fun working on a lot of this stuff and I seem to pick it up pretty fast.

At the end of class we did some tournament matches and I rolled with Adam first.  It was pretty difficult but I surprised myself by maintaining guard.  He scored the takedown right off the bat and kept the top position for the rest of the time.  There were a couple of times when I went to spider and lasso guard and I almost had a half guard sweep but in the end he beat me on points.

For my second match I went up against Tate.  I decided to go for broke and try a kneeling shoulder throw off the bat and I pulled it off.  That was the highlight as the rest of the match consisted of me trying to pass his guard, being in his back mount for a while and almost getting triangled.  We had some pretty good scrambles.  Can't wait until tomorrow.  I don't know who I will be going up against but I'll just try my best to do my thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment