Wednesday, May 23, 2012

May 23rd - Morning Open

Robert was our target today.  Participants included David, Ken, new Mike, and Claire.  We're preparing him for his MMA fight next Saturday.  He ended up going for 10 five minute rounds in a row with 30 seconds rest between each.  From my point of view his cardio and strength kept up for the entire time.  So, maybe I should have pushed the pace on him a little more.

I often wonder about mindset leading up to a fight.  Will you damage someone's confidence if you continually beat them right before a fight or a tournament.  It didn't happen in this case but I was thinking about it when I was rolling before the tournament last week.  Or, should you take it a little more easy on them and let them get their confidence up in their techniques?  Not sure but I could argue for both sides.

While I wasn't fighting Robert I was helping Claire and Mike with armbars and armbar defense.  Then I rolled with Ken.  I mostly focused on half guard and feel like I'm getting a lot more control of that bottom leg.  I was able to reverse a couple of times but Ken in his infinite annoying guard retention kept regaining guard.  I also have a hole somewhere in my half guard game cause there were a couple of times where he was able to remove his leg from my half guard.  All in all a good morning session.

No comments:

Post a Comment