Saturday, May 21, 2016

May 21st 2016 - Grapplethon, Kids, Open Mat

Grapplethon

There was a 24 hour Grapplethon for charity at Pinnacle Sports. Myself and several others attended at various times. I was there last night from 10:30-12.  Got in some good no gi rolls and also showed off some of my fancy kicks on the heavy bags.

After a quick warm-up roll with Jerad, Henry asked me to roll and to his surprise I was able to use some cross guard and pull off some omoplatas.

The weird thing was that the round clock was set for 3 minutes and 1 minute off which wasn't something I was used to.  I rolled with a mix of our guys and their guys and had a great time and felt pretty good even though I attended the 6:30 am class that morning. Of course there was a bit of apprehension in the back of my head with visiting a new place and grappling with people that I haven't met, but I found everyone to be pleasant and happy to have us there.

Kids Class
Technique: Triangle
Rolling/Game: Guard, Stand up, Sharks and Octopuses

Jayden had a tough time with the running warm-up today as I tried to motivate him as best I could.  After a little refresher on the triangle they were doing fine with it.

Jace had a tough time rolling with his partner as be was a little more rough with collar chokes and attacking than he's used to. I saw that he was upset but he kept trying which is good enough for me.

Open Mat
Rolled With: Drew, Henry, Austin, Josh J.
Game Plan: Deep Half & Cross Guard

Drew: After a few rolls I helped him with some guard retention and we talked about spider guard a little bit. Don't have much to offer there but I helped him with the basic sweep.

Henry: Had a tough roll with Henry after both of us confessed to being worn out from the grapplethon.  There was quite a bit of back and forth where we both had our moments of attacking, defending, recovering guard, sweeping, and rinse and repeat. At the end he caught me with a turning choke using his own lapel and we both collapsed finally able to rest.

Austin: It's been a long time since I rolled with him and I'm glad to see him back. There was a point where I was transitioning from a failed kimura to north/south choke where he said something like, "I knew it wasn't going to be an armbar" because he thought don't normally do them. Then I made it my mission to try and armbar him. Unfortunately when I got to armbar position he was able to defend it very well to where I had to make multiple adjustments to try to keep ahead of the game.

Josh: He had some questions on cross guard that I was more than happy to answer. After having to troubleshoot the position for so long I enjoy sharing my findings. The 2 things were things that I have struggled with too.  When they pull their leg away so I can't underhook it I go to 2 on 1 and look for the back take. When I'm attempting the back roll sweep I let up on the underhook to give my head room to back roll.

We rolled and I felt like I spent 10 minutes attacking in back mount until he was finally able to escape.  I've got to get better at attacking from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment