Wednesday, May 11, 2016

May 11th 2016 - Gi All Levels

Theme & Techniques: Technical Stand-up, Hip Bump Sweep, Kimura from Guard
Students: Jerad, Tom, Andy, Chris C

Had them do some double leg and the sit outs as an extra warm-up and then we went right into the technical standup. A couple of observations from the techniques of the week:
  • Hip Bump Sweep - I emphasized the importance of getting to your hand.  Don't settle for just the elbow.
  • Kimura - A huge detail for me lately has been jumping the shoulder off to the side to get perpendicular to the opponent.  From there I hold their elbow really tight to my body and just move my shoulders to complete the lock.

Rolling: Guard, Free Rolling
Rolled With: Everyone

We did a round of guard and then had one person sit out and did 5 minute rounds.  Jerad challenged me quite a bit like usual.  I was able to pass his guard and after some work in side control setup a north/south choke.  For a while I thought I had it and was hearing him have trouble breathing a bit and even asked if he was out.  He wasn't and as soon as I adjusted he exploded out of the submission and then I was scrambling to not let him get too far ahead.

One major positive from rolling today was that I hit a deep half back take that I've been working on. The coolest part was Tom wasn't sure what I did.  It's cool to be in the beginning stages of adding something new to my game.

Office Hours Partner: Jerad, Tom

We rolled a couple rounds after class.  I rolled with Andy and Jerad.  Then Jerad and I went over some guard passing with Tom.  I feel like I've been getting some great rolls in lately.



No comments:

Post a Comment