Thursday, May 19, 2016

May 19th 2016 - Gi All Levels (Threat Level: Alejandro)

Theme & Techniques: Koshi Guruma, Standing Guard Break, Toreando Pass
Partner: Chris (new guy)

Working with the newer guy I took quite a bit of time correcting things today.  I try to be a little choosy in what I say though because I don't want to be talking the whole time and want to get reps in myself.  So I'll let some things go in order to keep the pace going during drilling and maybe if the other things are good I'll mention the minor details. 

Rolling: Guard Position, Free Rolling
Rolled With: Chris, Ben, Ian, Jordan, Shane

Going to keep striving to act first and be persistent on the guys that can take it.  So with Jordan and Ben I went after it a little bit more than I normally would.  I would generally consider myself a counter fighter and like to take what I'm given and respond to it.  That gets me into trouble with the purple belts as if they get what they want I often don't have the opportunity to recover or have to work a hell of a lot harder just to reset. 

Office Hours Partner: Dave, Ben

After class Dave asked me to roll and I asked him how much intensity that he wanted from me.  He said Alejandro level, to which I responded with a fervent "alright!"  So I did my best impression of Alejandro got my grips swept, passed to side control and hunted for a submission while putting a lot of pressure and ended up with a kimura all as quickly as I could.  He thanked me and hugged me and headed to the locker room.  I thought the request was pretty cool and trying to take on the mindset of someone else even though I really wouldn't know how to implement his game.

Worked with Ben on some deep half stuff and focused on getting to the position by moving himself more than pulling the opponent on top of him.  We also worked on the kick sweep to double unders which I think he will find very useful.  I'm enjoying sharing the stuff I'm good at as I have Ben and Conan working on deep half, Josh J working on cross guard, and Bhuvana working on north/south choke. 

No comments:

Post a Comment