Thursday, May 12, 2016

May 12th 2016 - Gi All Levels

Theme & Techniques: Technical Stand-up, Hip Bump Sweep, Kimura from Guard
Partner: Bob

Bob and I got a bit out of hand while working on the technical stand-up.  It turned into some pseudo rolling.  I think he's in a phase of wanting to know how much of his previous training applies to BJJ.  Which is quite a bit but he may benefit from just going with the flow and not worrying about it for now.  I went through this too when I quit Hapkido for this. 

Later on when we were practicing the hip bump sweep we talked about isolating an arm after the sweep where Greg was teaching to center up to avoid being rolled over again.  We discussed it for a bit and I tried to make clear that this is kind of a baby step and establishing the position is more important for the beginner and then later work on moving right into a submission.

Rolling: Up/Down/Out Closed Guard
Rolled With: Frank, Greg, Bhuvana, Ian, Jordan, Dave

Good tough rolls today and quite a few people made me work. 

I had another almost success with Greg.  I fought for my life to get cross guard, I switched sides, I went for collar grips, I tried to underhook the leg, I couldn't get under his thigh, rocked him back and forth, got the underhook.  He centered back up, so went to the other side started cross guard, he grabbed my foot and controlled my toes so I couldn't turn into the omoplata.  He goes for an ankle lock I pin his leg to get over it, he gets back up, I go to dlr he goes for knee slide and I center back up and I grab a cross collar.  I secure the loop choke over his head and try to keep his head from circling out.  It feels nice and tight but he's not tapping.  He's starting to get free, maybe I'll try to sweep, I come up he's free and stands.  I say something like, "can't you just let me win once!" to which he replied no and we started over from closed guard. 

Office Hours Partner: Frank

Frank asked about some options from butterfly guard and I shared some things quickly that I have success with.  Hook sweep, arm drag, collar drag, guillotine, etc. 



No comments:

Post a Comment