Sunday, May 29, 2016

May 28th 2016 - Kids & Open Mat

Kids Class
Technique: Single Leg
Rolling/Game: Push/Pull Game, Stand-up Sparring, Free Rolling

Conan and Jerad had the kids do the warm-ups the same as the adults without having to be separated into groups. Seemed to work well. Jayden had to be motivated a couple times.

While working on the single leg they had a bit of trouble with pulling so the leg they wanted stepped forward, but otherwise they enjoyed the technique.

Stand-up sparring went well I saw both if my boys get after it.  There was a bit of a scary moment when Jayden was on his stomach and Jace went for back mount like he does when the other person is in turtle but with Jayden's legs straight it bent his back pretty good. Luckily he was okay and just needed to walk it off. Jace was pretty upset though. We'll have to talk about it later.

Open Mat
Rolled With: Conan, Tyler, Bauer, Bhuvana
Game Plan: Lapel Guard

Fuji, Clint, Derek, and Jerad did some wrestling before open mat. I took some guilty pleasure in seeing Fuji get thrown around a bit. Unfortunately, I didn't feel like my back was up to participating.

Conan: We took turns working on some lapel guard stuff. I feel like I'm getting a good feel for it but just need to get down some contingencies for when things don't go as planned. We rolled after that and I starting out getting the better of the roll but I eventually lost ground and he got on top and submitted me.  While defending I did attempt some of the lapel guard stuff but was unable to use it.

Tyler: I asked him to teach me some berimbolo stuff as I think it would be fun and probably surprise a few people if someone my size was good at it.  We rolled a bit after that and I had to avoid all of his inversion stuff.

Bauer: Always great to roll with him as we haven't in a while.  A few interesting things happened. I tried to set up the spiral armbar from mount and he was able to roll me over the first time. The second time I set it up he attempted to roll me over but I adjusted position to stay on top but I lost the armbar.  I still have some work to do on this technique.

He gave me quite a few compliments afterwards and like usual I'm terrible at accepting them. The one that I took to heart was when he said that he enjoyed when he comes in seeing how much I've improved.

Bhuvana: We rolled and worked on a few things.  She was doing a decent job with the lapel guard and seems excited about it.  There were a couple times I set something up like the bread cutter or the baseball bat and she asked to rewind and figure out how to defend against it.


No comments:

Post a Comment