Tuesday, May 17, 2016

May 17th 2016 - No Gi All Levels

Theme & Techniques: Side Control: Underhook Escape to Single Leg, Arm Triangle Choke
Partner: Justin

There were a couple of times when drilling the escape that Justin wanted to make sure that it worked. I had to stop us from actually turning it into a roll a few times.  It's good that he wants to make sure stuff works but too much can be counter productive.  I'm also a bit of a sucker for it too because I want to prove stuff works, luckily I do most of the time but I should probably try to stay on task a little better. 

I enjoyed working on the arm triangle setup because I know it's something new that Greg has been figuring out.  The cross face using the armpit grip is awesome.  I love this setup but I think I've only hit it once in rolling so far.  I still need to work on the angle needed to put my head to the mat but once I figure that out this may be another avenue in my side control.

Rolling: Side Control, Free Rolling
Rolled With: Justin, Ben, Tom, Greg

Was not able to setup the arm triangle today but made the effort to.  I feel like my no gi control is getting better and I'm finding myself automatically going to certain hand positions to prevent side control escapes.  I was able to try out my new found sitout detail and it's been working for me and I couldn't be happier. 

Rolled with Greg and had some good exchanges.  I got caught with a couple ankle locks and a cool setup from top half guard that he wind shield wipered my leg and turned it into a heel hook.  I felt pretty good about maintaining my guard and resetting.  I had to put my feet down and hip out a couple times where in the past I may have tried to push away with my feet instead. 

Office Hours: Mike A, Morgan

Watched Morgan and Mike roll several times.  It pretty much became a leg lock clinic by Mike and I took joy in watching Morgan go through what I've been through so many times.  Mike showed me a Marcelo Garcia trick to get out of open guard leg lock positions while standing.  He just takes a huge upward step to pull his leg straight out.  I've seen him do it in videos but didn't realize that it was so effective.  Mike and I tried it a couple times and saw a lot of value in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment