Saturday, May 14, 2016

May 14th 2016 - Kids & Open Mat

Kids Class
Technique: Jiu-Jitsu Stand-up, Hip Bump Sweep
Rolling/Game: Guard Position

Kids have been doing great in class lately and I think a lot of it has to do with some work we've been doing at home.  I'm working with Jayden to lift his butt more during shrimp walks.  We've also been doing push-ups every night which have also noticeably improved.

Open Mat
Rolled With: Jorge, Jerad, Gina, Adam, Greg, Drew, Bhuvana
Game Plan: Deep Half, No Gi Training

Jorge: Tough first roll with Jorge. It's been a long time since we've rolled and he's gotten tons better.  We had a true back and forth where I would sweep and get to top side control and he would recover to turtle and sweep me.  This might have happened 4 or 5 times. I wasn't able to hold him down.  We both kept the other from submitting and eventually decided to take a break.

Rolling with him made me want to improve my side control escapes and figure out how to flow more from top to deal with escapes to single or turtle.

Jerad: I decided to not try for deep half in this roll and see if I could instead make him think I was and use it to sweep with.  It didn't necessarily work but we did end up in some different position scenarios from half guard. He was able to consistently transition to knee slide from my half guard. I need a better go to solution when someone stands in my half, DLR? He eventually caught me with a kimura from top half.

Gina: Had a good couple rolls. Realized part way through that I wasn't as worried about crushing her as I used to be.  After one of the rolls she asked me if I thought she made any glaring mistakes. I realized how much I may put Greg, Conan, Jerad, Mike on the spot when I ask this question because I couldn't think of much to say besides clear the collar grip that I had.  We discussed a little about the knee slide doesn't require a full underhook but you need to put your hand in some way that prevents their underhook.

Adam: Decided to go no gi with Adam and started off pretty well on top in hip switch half. Later he said that position was very dominant for me.  I had a few attempts at regaining guard and legceeded with half and got passed again. He eventually did a slick setup on north/south choke, one of the few people that could catch me with it.

I asked him about some things to do from the bottom front headlock position and he showed me the sitout to double leg which I already knew about but the key piece that he mentioned was to push into them a bit more where I was always trying to pull my head away from them to make space. This made so much sense!

Greg: More no gi and I didn't feel like I accomplished much. Got caught with several ankle locks as I tried to figure out what the hell I need to do to defend I seem to constantly do the wrong thing.  I did go to deep half a few times and had a good attempt at the waiter sweep but didn't follow through like I should have.

Drew: After rolling a few times I showed him the north/south choke since I caught him with it a few times.  We also went over the knee over pass.

Bhuvana: She only wanted to work on the omoplata an pendulum sweep from closed guard.  We did the omoplata from an overhook so not using cross guard like I normally would use for both of these techniques. She had a little bit of trouble conceptualizing the swinging motion but eventually she had a light bulb moment.


No comments:

Post a Comment