Thursday, May 26, 2016

May 26th 2016 - Gi All Levels

Theme & Techniques: Standing Guillotine Defense Takedown, Half Guard Underhook: Back Take, Reguard
Students: Sara, Robert, Bhuvana, Megan, Harvey, Camille, Dave, Morgan, Ben, Shane

Nice big class for me to teach today.  I did the ideal tournament scenario drill with 2 rounds of 3 minutes.  I think when I do this next time I'm going to give the option that if you don't already have one then do O-Soto Gari to side control and americana as a baseline.  At least that's what I instructed Megan through when I worked with her today.

I felt very confident teaching the material today, which of course because it's half guard.  I don't think I missed anything and gave a few extra tidbits on getting the underhook. 

I was accidentally a little harsh with Dave's top half guard when I came over and said, "I don't like what you're doing there."  It came out wrong but I think he got something out of it in the end.  He was tucking his elbow inside too much which was providing a path right to the back.  It's something that I struggled with too because Zac used to arm drag me repeatedly from this.  So just make sure you have some type of elbow control over their hip.

Rolling: Half Guard, Free Rolling
Rolled With: Morgan, Ben, Robert

In half guard before attempting to get an underhook or go to deep half I've been trying to setup the shaolin sweep.  I've had a little bit of success but it hasn't really been pretty yet I think I just need to load them up a little bit more.  I've also been working with the twist sweep from the short half guard and I think I might start showing that to people as a viable sweep from half guard.

Free rolling with Robert was tough and I feel like we're stuck in a loop.  It's mostly half guard with me on bottom.  Avoid the guillotine try to sweep flattens me out, recover to the side get to butterfly guard, he jumps over to pass, go to turtle, front head lock, recover half guard, maybe deep half guard, defend guillotine again, etc.  I've got to figure out something new to break the cycle.

Office Hours Partner: Morgan, Harvey

Showed Morgan the short half guard and twist sweep and I think he liked it.  He was almost there when we were rolling previously so I thought I'd show it to him.  We also talked about passing with the hip switch.  Worked with Harvey on the same thing and some other half guard stuff.



No comments:

Post a Comment