Tuesday, May 10, 2016

May 10th 2016 - No Gi All Levels

Theme & Techniques: Sean Williams' Guard: Armbar, Triangle, Omoplata
Partner: Ian (New Guy)

More work with SW guard.  I worked with a new guy and felt pretty good about explaining everything to him.  I'm not sure if it will be my guard any time soon as I need to do a lot more drilling of just getting to the position and keeping it. 

Rolling: King of the Mat - Closed Guard Edition
Rolled With: Andy, Frank, Josh J, Greg, Ty, Tom

I had hopes of trying the SW guard, but everyone seemed against letting my try it.  Maybe I'll revisit it a few weeks from not when it's not fresh in everyone's mind.  I was able to pull off some cross guard stuff and used the guillotine when that failed to either sweep or as a submission.  I was able to go to deep half a few times and did some work from there. 

Once again I'll count my almost with Greg as a success as I was in half guard and got a kimura grip.  I looked for my moment and tried to make space with my butterfly hook and then did the magic trick to the back take.  I was there, I got my hooks in he fell right into back mount.  But, I couldn't secure his upper body and he immediately escaped.  Maybe I should have hung on to the kimura a little longer, not sure. 

Office Hours Partner: Josh J, John, Greg

Got my money's worth rolling today.  Great to be able to do a couple serious rolls after class and the heat/humidity is starting to affect me so the sooner I can get used to it the better.  Greg wanted to get some rolling in too so he had us do 5 minute rounds and then switch partners so we would roll with everyone.  It was great but I felt super sweaty and kind of gross when I was done. 

There were a couple times that I was able to actively slow the pace down at opportune moments.  Like getting to the knee over pass position and securing it and then taking my time and not giving any opportunities to recover guard. 


I worked with John and Josh on some no-gi guard passing showing the over/under pass and the guillotine post pass type stuff.  

No comments:

Post a Comment