Friday, May 13, 2016

May 13th 2016 - Gi All Levels

Theme & Techniques: Technical Stand-up, Hip Bump Sweep, Kimura from Guard
Partner: Craig, Justin

Not much to say about the technique portion.  Just emphasize to get up to your hand on the hip bump and jumping off to the side in the kimura.  Also work on using your legs a lot more when trying to get their hands to the floor.

Rolling: Guard Position, Free Rolling
Rolled With: Justin, Jesus, Jeff

I was able to complete a few hip bumps and a kimura during rolling.  I had to be a little more sneaky about them and focus on something else before going to them.  I'm getting back to focusing on the technique of the week during rolling.  I helped each of my partners out a little on different things.  With Jesus and Justin talked about the importance of the stiff arm while in the top position to prevent collar grips and keep their hips down.  Jesus said he was having success with moving to pant grips after the guard was opened and thanked me for showing him that.

With Jeff I noticed that he attempted arm drag on me a couple times from butterfly so I showed him a few things to make it stronger.  Jumping hips to the side rather than straight back, and using the collar drag as an option as well.  

Office Hours Partner: Conan

Had a couple of tough rolls with Conan where he shut me down pretty well from side control.  I had a couple to good sweep attempts from deep half and butterfly but he seemed to be a step ahead of me today.  He said that I'm probably keeping my hands up too high in the bottom of side control and it's the main reason he's getting americana's on me.  There were a few times that I made a good effort to bridge and escape but reset back to the original position where I should have kept trying to escape.  I knew that I made that mistake as soon as I collapsed back down again.



No comments:

Post a Comment