Tuesday, May 31, 2016

May 31st 2016 - No Gi All Levels (Bachelor Week)

Noon No Gi All Levels
Theme & Techniques: Butterfly Guard: Guillotine Pass, Knee Slide Pass, High Elbow Guillotine
Partner: Will

I'll be training as much Jiu-Jitsu as I can this week as my wife and boys took a week long trip out to western Nebraska to visit my father-in-law.  Conversely my posts are probably going to be brief as I don't want to spend all of my time outside of class writing about class.  I'm keeping a close eye on my back as it's still kind of tight.  When I'm training it's fine but if I'm just sitting around it aches a bit and I have to adjust my posture and stretch out. 

Had some trouble being a good partner for the guillotine today.  I feel like I have some congestion in my sinuses that is causing me to gag after being choked sometimes, I think some of it is in my head too.  Otherwise I enjoyed the passes and the guillotine.  Probably the biggest piece of advice I could give is dip your elbow of the choking arm in order to get the other arm over their shoulder. 

Rolling: Butterfly Guard, Free Rolling
Rolled With: Will, Ben, Dave, Mike, Robert

Butterfly guard felt pretty good, I focused mostly on breaking my partner's posture as that was something Greg mentioned several times during the instruction portion.  I was able to use the guillotine pass and the high elbow guillotine a few times.  Ben and I stalemated when I was on the bottom of butterfly.  It mostly turned into a hand and posture fight as neither of us got over extended.

Mike and Robert gave me a hard time as per usual.  There were a couple times with Robert where I could have come to the top but I didn't feel confident in my wrestling with him and felt like the effort might have been wasted.  In these situations I just need to go for it because I'm not going to learn from mistakes if I don't.  Mike and I had a pretty crazy roll with a lot of position changes and ankle lock avoidance. 

Office Hours Partner: Robert, Mike

I asked Robert about the wrestling thing and he gave me some good ideas that he called his plan b and c.  From situp guard grabbing the far hip and coming up to a single leg and kind of pulling the pipe and then if that doesn't work go for a double. 

Mike and I had a tough roll and talked about defending ankle locks a bit and how he thought I was improving.  I mentioned that I noticed earlier that I was preventing them sooner with some people by moving my foot down to their hip out of leg lock danger.

So much for shorter posts.


No comments:

Post a Comment