Friday, May 6, 2016

May 6th 2016 - Gi All Levels

Theme & Techniques: Seio Nage, Back Mount Cross Collar Choke, Guillotine from Guard
Partner: Sam, Craig

Didn't get to bed at a reasonable time last night and felt a little low on energy this morning.  It also felt a bit humid today which I'm not excited about this summer. 

For the throw Conan had us practice with the 3 step setup.  Where you get your grips and you and your partner side step 3 times and then throw on the third to try to catch them as they're stepping.  I find it to be a difficult exercise but felt like I did it successfully today. 

Craig and I had some discussion on the guillotine and where the wrist should be.  In this version my wrist is more on the side of the neck rather than on the throat, where something like the Marcelotine is more across the throat.  Then we also worked on getting the hips back more to make it easier to connect the hands.

Rolling: Guard, Free Rolling
Rolled With: Craig, Sam, Josh J, Morgan, Conan

Opportunities for omoplatas were coming out of the woodwork.  I'm kind of feeling like practicing the cross guard omoplata so much has led to me finding ways to do it starting from other positions or during a scramble.  From the top I was all about trying to pass with the tozi and accomplished it a couple times.  The last time though Sam was able to sweep me somehow, I think I must have brought my head up or something because I was almost free.

Josh was pretty challenging today and was able to keep me from submitting him during free rolling.  I'm having to use more and more energy when rolling with him, which I need.  The more people to challenge me in class the better. 

I rolled with Conan last and felt winded before we started.  I gave it my best but felt like he was a step ahead of me regardless.  I made a good effort at getting to deep half and then was close to sweeping but was a little late and he was able to bounce back to his knee and catch my arm and turn it into a kimura.  I really need to get better sleep on Thursday nights, or any nights for that matter.

Office Hours Partner: Josh

We worked on bridging from the bottom of side control.  So Conan and I both kind of said the same things in that we're trying to bridge in a way that would put them on their back if they didn't adjust to prevent that.  Once they do move is when you hip escape and drive your knee across to start regaining the guard.  I also emphasized not to use his arms and I'd actually usually just put my hand flat on my chest.  He felt like this was key because he thought he was using his arms too much. 

No comments:

Post a Comment