Friday, August 12, 2016

August 12th 2016 - Gi All Levels

Theme & Techniques: Basic Open Guard: Position, Tripod Sweep, Omoplata
Students: Craig, Ryal, Dave M, Jeff, Lucas (visitor)

Went through a standard warm-up since it was Lucas' first time with us.  He's trained MMA and wants to up his ground game, so it sounds like we may see more of him.

Couple of notes on the open guard techniques.  Had to emphasize the pulling the foot back on the sweep again as expected.  Also someone mentioned that Greg taught it with dropping his foot down to the ankle which made the sweep much easier. 

Rolling: Open Guard, Free Rolling
Rolled With: Ryal, Dave, Jeff

Due to even numbers of people I sat out the first couple of rolls and then jumped in as people had to take off.  Saw some good things from everyone, a few triangles and some guard passes.

I was able to pull off the RNC hand fighting technique from the video yesterday.  It was a little crude but I got it to work.  During most of the rolls I would start off doing my more intense game plan and then toward the end I turned into more of a coach and helped them through some techniques that I felt were best for the situation.

The funny thing was that when I switched I think everyone thought it was a trap because they were hesitant to go on the offensive themselves.  I'm finding this part of the mental game to be challenging at times.  I can mentally defeat myself when rolling with the people that tap me consistently.  I won't go for certain things because I think they'll stop it or capitalize on it.  That takes thinking and makes me slower or try techniques that I'm not good at and it kind of snowballs from there.  It's a work in progress and I don't have it figured out but realizing it's a problem is part of the solution.

Video of the day is this interesting crucifix setup that was posted on reddit.







No comments:

Post a Comment