Tuesday, August 23, 2016

August 23rd 2016 - No Gi All Levels

All School Training and Promotions

Had our bi-annual all school training and promotions last Saturday.  Felt a little under the weather so didn't write about it then.  We had a theme of half guard and the instructors (Greg, Mike, Jerad, Me) each taught a technique and worked with the kids.  I taught an escape from mount to deep half.  I originally learned it from the Bernardo Faria DVD but couldn't find a clip of it, the video below is as close as I could find, and it's Jeff Glover so it's cool.

Proud of Jordan and Sam getting their blue belts!  Awesome to see people that I've helped, progress and get some color on their belts.  Hopefully I can assist them in breaking those new belts in.



Theme & Techniques: Mount: Upa Escape, Arm Triangle
Partner: Lucas

When helping Lucas and Justin on this technique today I put the biggest emphasis on using the hips and staying connected with the opponent.  Often they would limit their bridge and then try to push them the rest of the way with their arms, which created space and allowed the top person to shift and rotate hips and set up an armbar or foil the reversal. 

Arm triangle was fun and I'm still working on getting the first initial crossface, that is the difficult part of this technique for me now.

Rolling: Mount, Free Rolling
Rolled With: Greg, Justin, Ben (New), Jesus

I attempted the arm triangle on everyone I could but didn't have any luck with it today.  Mount has been a really good attacking position for me lately so mostly cycled through my list of attacks trying to setup the arm triangle or the spiral armbar.


Rolling with Greg was fun and super challenging.  I did better than I thought or he was being nice to me.  He did escape using the mount escape to deep half that I taught on Saturday. 


Office Hours Partner: Justin

Worked a little more on the mount escape and then rolled a little bit.  Greg gave him some pointers on escaping knee on belly.  I took a page out of Greg's book and tried to finish the NS choke one handed.  I didn't have much success today though so I'll have to figure that out. 



No comments:

Post a Comment