Friday, August 5, 2016

August 5th 2016 - Gi All Levels

Theme & Techniques: Closed Guard Triangle Setups
Partner: Bob, Mike G

Witnessed the return of Mike after quite a bit of time off.  He finally got cleared after some back issues and seemed happy to be on the mats again.  Craig and Josh were returning after some time off for healing as well.  

We worked on the regular setup and then looked at a deep overhook guard.  I don't have much success getting off to my side with this like Conan does and I think it mostly has to do with not putting my foot on their hip like he does.  I think in the past I've just tried to keep my guard closed so maybe I'll explore this more if I get a chance.

Rolling: Guard, Free Rolling
Rolled With: Bob, Mike, Josh J

At one point Bob called me a bastard and then immediately said that he meant that in the nicest way possible.  I wasn't phased and told him that we just got done with season 6 of Game of Thrones so I'm used to bastard being thrown around. 

I took it pretty easy rolling and worked on some things that I normally don't do.  Played some DLR and worked a little more on bikini guard (probably should find another name for this).  Mike thanked me for not going too rough with him which was fun to relax and figure out how to sweep and pass without using much pressure or speed. 

When I rolled with Josh, Conan gave a lot of pointers and talked him through some defenses and attacks.  I played into it a bit and got put into trouble a couple times.  We discussed the roll a little bit after ward and he asked about some of the advice.  It boiled down to tunnel vision in some cases, one example was when he had the underhook from top half guard but Conan and I both knew that he wanted to remove it to do something else and we both told him "don't do that" at one point. 





No comments:

Post a Comment