Tuesday, August 9, 2016

August 9th 2016 - No Gi All Levels

Theme & Techniques: Straight Ankle Lock
Partner: Justin, Jesus

Great class full of much needed leg locky goodness.  Mike taught the straight ankle lock starting from a leg lock position on the ground, which was single leg-x on the ground (not sure of the technical name).   I liked doing it this way as we got right to the submission instead of worrying too much about the setup.  Although eventually time needs to be spent on that too for beginners.

We covered the basic straight ankle that is also taught in the gi.  We covered a version where we reaped and went belly down, and we covered switching the foot to the other hip to finish or come up into leg drag.  Big key that he emphasized a lot and something that I wasn't always good at monitoring was to keep your hand high on your chest.

One tip that I'll give is to tap your partner instead of the mat during leg locks.  It's sometimes difficult to hear them tap the mat especially with several groups going at once.

Rolling: Ankle Lock Position KOTM, Free Rolling

Mike had us start from the same position for KOTM and I feel like I got a lot out of it. I failed at the ankle lock a few times and succeeded a few times. I attempted the switch but couldn't make it work but was able to eventually sweep. A big key to success is leg position and keeping your knees tight and clamped.

Office Hours Partner: Tom

I rolled with Ben at the end of class and then Tom after class.  I've written down a few mantras to help keep me focused.

  • Go after what you want
  • Always work to be on top
  • Don't give anything up (grips, position, etc)
  • Don't settle
  • Free your mind

I think this is the best path for me to improve and reach the next level for now.  I'm trying to think of ways to change the blog, I'll probably do less talking about individual rolls and focus more on the big picture. Let me know if you have other ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment