Thursday, August 18, 2016

August 18th 2016 - Gi All Levels

Theme & Techniques: Koshi Guruma, Ezekiel from Mount & Top Half Guard
Partner: Drew, Lucas

Got Drew squared away on the throw, apparently he hadn't done many of the hip type throws before.  It was cool to correct a small thing each time and see him adjust it and go from being all over the place to a more efficient throw. 

Being the demonstratee for ezekiel practice is not the most pleasant experience.  You can't keep it too casual while you have a fist to the neck and Greg explains how to properly apply pressure.  However, I do feel pretty confident with finishing this technique thanks to working with Zac several months ago.  I think previously I was applying it to shallow on the wrong side of the neck, but now if I get it I finish it the majority of the time.  People have gotten better at defending it though.

Rolling: Mount, Half Guard, Free Rolling
Rolled With: Daniel, Bob, Sara

Rolling from mount has been more fulfilling recently.  I feel like my attacks are coming together and I'm avoiding getting rolled over a lot less.  I'm still a little slow at determining when I should go for an armbar and miss some opportunities when I'm trying to setup something else.  There's a little stubbornness there when I have my mind set on getting a cross collar choke.

Helped Bob through explaining what he should want in both top and bottom half guard of wanting underhooks and wanting them flat on their back from the top and wanting to be on your side on the bottom. 

Sara was great to roll with as I didn't want to crush her but also want to give her a good roll.  There were a couple times where techniques that I would use on bigger people weren't there.

During free rolling I shared my collar grab sneaky trick with Daniel (and now everyone else that reads this).  From bottom butterfly guard, I will often grab same side collar in hopes that they'll put both hands on my one, then I can reach up with my free hand and get a deep cross collar grip.  Works pretty well. 

Office Hours Partner: Greg

We drilled the K-guard for a round each and felt really good about it.  2 things I have to get over is going for the triangle as the primary attack is odd and not caring about the arm as much since I don't have my sleeve grip like in normal cross guard.

No comments:

Post a Comment