Thursday, August 4, 2016

August 4th 2016 - Gi All Levels

Theme & Techniques: Closed Guard Triangle Setup, Mounted Triangle
Students: Sara, Bhuvana, Ben, Byrav

Was a little late to class due to a work "emergency" so we did an abbreviated warm-up and went right into triangles.  Sara brought in her baby and I entertained her a few times during drilling and rolling.  Such a good baby.

Everyone seemed to be familiar with the triangle setup, the only thing I really had to emphasize once they started drilling was to raise the hips to get the knee really high and the calf across the back of their neck more.  I showed a couple setups that I have success with because I'm really only going to triangle off of a failed something else.  So I showed failed armbar where they pull the arm out and mounted triangle Jerad style with the armbar option. 

Rolling: Closed Guard, Free Rolling
Rolled With: Ben

Mia and I watched as everyone rolled in guard.  I saw Ben and Bhuvana fought to hip bump each other and then Ben gave her some pointers on it.  Bhuvana mentioned a few times that she was worried about opening her guard.  I told her to roll with no regrets and that it's better to try and fail than just hold position and do nothing.

I rolled with Ben as everyone else had to leave.  Had some good grip fighting exchanges and he defended quite a few things that I attempted.  He attempted a shin on shin to single leg x but I was able to prevent it by pulling on his head a little bit.  We went over getting the position and sweeping with it.  We discovered a few things that helped him improve.  He needed to fall to the side more like a hook sweep and then raise his hips a little bit more.  Then transition to the full-x technical stand-up sweep or sweep with the single leg x.  

Side note, I got pulled over on the way back to work for turning left on a yellow/orangish light.  I was trying to think of a way to name drop that I had just been training Jiu-Jitsu with 2 officers or work Conan's name into the conversation.  I decided against it since he just gave me a warning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment