Thursday, July 14, 2016

July 14th 2016 - Gi All Levels

Theme & Techniques: Cross Guard: Guard Pull, Position to Omoplata, Barrel Roll Sweep, Triangle, Pendulum Sweep
Students: Ben, Bhuvana, Harvey, Byrav, Jordan, Bob

I went off the books today and decided to teach cross guard.  There were only 2 students at the time and since Jordan is competing on Saturday I just wanted to provide a change of pace.  Then 4 other students showed up, so I went with it.  I did quickly review everything from the week

Starting with the guard pull was probably not the best idea and I think the next time I teach this class I will put it at the end as a bonus instead of being the first thing I teach.  Regardless everyone made due and was able to get some semblance of the technique and I made the comment as we went for the wall for the next technique "that wasn't completely terrible."

The rest of the class went pretty well and I really only had to correct the common mistakes that everyone makes from this position.  A couple of tips:
  • You only need to hold their sleeve to your body, don't pull it all the way across 
  • Punch their wrist into your hip after you've shot your hips up.  It's very difficult to put their wrist into the proper place if your hips are on the floor.
  • Take it in degrees go 90 degrees to get to the position and 90 more to go to omoplata, it's difficult to try to do the full 180 all at once.

Thinking about what I taught today I think I have 3 greatest hits subjects for classes like this that I can teach. Of course I'm fine with teaching anything from the weekly curriculum but if someone was interested in details on the stuff that works for me I have a couple of ideas for classes in my back pocket.  Cross Guard, Deep Half, Knee On Belly Attacks (Featuring North/South Choke).  I could probably spend a couple of classes on each of these subjects as well.  Bragging aside, it's pretty cool to be at a point where I feel like I have niche at our school on some of these subjects. 



No comments:

Post a Comment