Wednesday, July 6, 2016

July 6th 2016 - Gi All Levels

Theme & Techniques: Koshi Guruma, Side Control: Tripod Escape, Kimura
Students: Sam, Derek, Harvey

Taught the class for Jerad today and was happy to see some people walking in the door this week.  We did

Tips on the techniques of the week:
  • Koshi Guruma: It seems pretty natural for everyone to try to grab the shoulder or the gi when wrapping your arm around their head.  Stop doing that.
  • Tripod Escape: After getting the far underhook I've been explaining to walk out a little bit and get your head between their knees.  This has helped me immensely with getting to the tripod because my head would keep getting stopped by their knee.
  • Kimura: When setting this up use your body as much as possible.  Once their arm is over my shoulder it hold it there and move to north/south then use my foot to help turn them on their side.

Rolling: Side Control, Free Rolling
Rolled With: Everyone

Had some good rolls and gave tips where I could.  Sam was going for a butterfly guard at one point and after I kind of sprawled on a sweep my arm ended up on her shoulder.  I told her to take my back from there and kind of coaxed her in that direction.  We were then in an interesting kinda back mount position where I was seated and she had one hook in.  She attacked for collar grips as I defended.  After the roll I suggested that she should have fallen to the side with the hook in that situation and we drilled that a couple times.

Office Hours Partner: Harvey, Derek

both of them had questions on half guard.  Harvey from the bottom wanted to deal with being on the bottom when the top person has underhook and cross face.  I suggested butterfly half to either get to full butterfly or work to an underhook.  Derek wanted the opposite and wanted to know how to pass from there to which I suggested the tripod pass or hip switching.

No comments:

Post a Comment