Thursday, July 7, 2016

July 7th 2016 - Gi All Levels

Theme & Techniques: Koshi Guruma, Side Control: Tripod Escape, Kimura
Students: Adam, Harvey, Ian, Tim, Bhuvana, Justin, Byrav, Frank, Jesus, Ben

Large class today.  Due to road construction I pulled up to the school a little late to see people walking in the door.  I freaked out a bit because I didn't know who would be there with a key.  Turns out Adam has the week off from work so let everyone in.  Plus glad to have him in class.

Had everyone do the best case scenario drill today and seemed to go fairly well with just a few helpful hints I had to drop.  This time as I explained the exercise I told everyone that if they didn't have a best scenario they should use o-soto gari to side control to americana. 

Then we circled up and spent some time doing tripods individually before getting to techniques.  When explaining the tripod escape I'm finding a lot of people are having success with getting their head inside the knees.  I saw a lot of success with it today.

Rolling: Up/Down/Out Side Control, Free Rolling
Rolled With: Several Students

I was able to pull off the tripod today during rolling and couldn't be happier as I usually use underhook to half guard instead.  I was also able to setup a few kimuras using the setup of the week. 

Had a hell of a roll with Adam.  Started out with setting up my guard and came really close to completing a cross guard omoplata but he was able to posture out of it.  I ended up in butterfly guard and knew I was in trouble of his kick back pass or whatever it's called.  New goal to learn to prevent this thing.  Spent the rest of the round trying to escape side control and avoid getting choked as he was doing some brabo stuff all day. 

Office Hours Partner: Harvey, Tim

Had some Harvey time again and we discussed starting a free roll.  Pretty much I emphasized the importance of getting the grips you want regardless of if you're the passer or guard player.  From the top I'm going for pant grips or trying to control the legs, from the bottom I'm preventing pant grips and going for sleeve and collar and maybe foot on hip.  We got into some murky waters as I said sometimes I can ignore a collar grip if I have both pant grips but that's more of a feeling on my part.  

No comments:

Post a Comment