Saturday, July 23, 2016

July 23rd 2016 - Open Mat

Open Mat
Rolled With: Lucas, Shane, Greg, Mo, Henry, Bhuvana, Cat, Bauer

Strange open mat today in that I didn't roll that much but got some good drilling in.

Lucas & Shane: Lucas was going over some basic wrestling stuff with Shane so I crashed the party and worked on shooting and a few techniques to deal with the sprawl.  The major thing I took away from this is that want to bump into them a little bit with my shot, this whole time I've been trying to get my shoulder on their hip but if I make them stumble back a bit it helps so much.

Greg: We did some more NS Choke practice using the head and arm setup. We watched a video of Marcel Garcia doing the choke and he does it differently than I do head position wise.

Mo: Had a very short roll with Mo where he felt like he needed to warm up a little more and use my back buddy.  It's becoming quite popular at the school.

Henry: He and I had a war. A lot of back and forth and I felt like I had to dig deep to keep up with him.  There were a couple times where I had top position and lost it and then Henry was able to go right into a guard pass.  This is something that I need to work on myself, to smoothly transition to a pass after a sweep or reversal.

Bhuvana: We worked on a couple things concerning breaking guard and preventing tozi pass. We also reviewed the butterfly guard kick up thing that I've been working on this week with Greg's help.

Cat: Had some good rolls with her no gi. Made some ankle lock attempts that didn't work out. We discussed back mount defense for a bit mostly about bridging and getting her back to the mat.

Bauer: We worked on the side control to mounted triangle. It eventually morphed into spiral armbar and he gave me such a good pointer on controlling the arm during the step up. He got the idea from a video where Dean Lister sets up a ankle lock. Instead of pressuring sideways I want to clamp downward with my ribs.




No comments:

Post a Comment