Thursday, July 21, 2016

July 21st 2016 - Gi All Levels

Theme & Techniques: Seio Nage, Double Ankle Sweep, Butterfly Guard Hook Sweep
Students: Bhuvana, Bob, Justin, Ben, Nick, Byrav

Did a running warm-up and took some turns with throw fit-ins and throwing.  Teaching the shoulder throw is strange with Bob there as I know he has a lot to teach me about this and other throws.  He's a good sport about it though.

When teaching the butterfly sweep I shared a cool thing that Greg showed me the other day that I've made work since then.  I normally wouldn't teach something that I just learned but this makes so much sense.  You grab both of their lapels and scoot your butt up to your heals as you pull them over you putting their hands on the floor, then as you bring them back down you can get a great underhook.  I also showed getting the under/over hook grips the standard way and said to practice both.  Seemed like everyone had a little success with this.  

Rolling: Butterfly Guard, Closed Guard, Free Rolling
Rolled With: Nick, Ben, Justin

I watched the first couple of rolls since there were even numbers of students but then several people took off for work so I got to work in.  I noticed Nick being very helpful with everyone and doing equal amounts of time giving pointers and kicking butt.

Had some good rolls with everyone that remained.  Nick gave me some things to think about as we had some back and forth.  I'm not sure but I think he let me get away with a few things that I probably shouldn't have.  I helped Ben a bit with collar drag and Justin with escaping mount.

Office Hours Partner: Nick, Justin

Nick gave me a quick overview of his de la riva x guard and can see incorporating it in the near future.  I think Conan would like it too.  I'm glad he'll be coming to more morning classes.

Went over a few of the basic things Justin hadn't seen in class yet like scissor sweep and paper cutter choke.  We discussed focusing on the beginner core stuff for a while before trying to figure out his game and I think that's a great idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment