Tuesday, July 5, 2016

July 5th 2016 - No Gi

Theme & Techniques: Half Guard Torque Position: Dog Fight Takedown, Sweep, Limp Arm to Back Control
Partner: Ben, Tom

Gained some great details from today's class.  I've known for a while that I'm a little lazy with my no gi underhook from half guard.  In gi I feel like I get away with it because I usually grab the belt, but no gi I really need to get a hold of the far hip bone.  The other detail during the sweep was that I'm better off going under their leg instead of trying to control the knee like I do in the gi so some good stuff today. 

Rolling: KOTM Half Guard
Rolled With: Mike A, Tom, Ben, Harvey, Dave

Had success with half guard and pulled off the torque sweep or came up with it.  Didn't find a time to attempt the limp arm.  I played a lot of different things in half guard and felt good about my breadth of diversity in my techniques. 

Mike and I had a good roll with a lot of transitions.  Primarily I went to deep half and some other positions.  I ended up in kind of a leg drag position after going for single leg x and we talked about that after and that I should have looked for full x guard before he came down to his knee. 

Office Hours Partner: Mike, Harvey, Tom

We talked some more half guard after class and discussed some passing options and defenses.  Smash pass probably took up the significant portion of time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment